A perforated aluminum sheet has various patterns or holes in different shapes that are stamped or punched manually or mechanically. In case of mechanical punching, manufacturers use various techniques like laser-cutting technology or CNC machines.
Aluminum is one of the widely used materials to produced perforated metal sheets along with galvanized iron and stainless steel. Aluminum perforated sheets are not only best for decorative purpose but they can also fulfill a lot of functional requirements.
Also Read: How Much Does A Floor Plan Designer Cost?
Table of Contents
In construction projects, perforated aluminum sheets are used for applications like infill for railings, barriers above and below railings, cover for columns, covers for plant pots, façade of a building, acoustic panels, pipe guards, or covering for walls.
Beside their benefits like durability and light-weight structure, you can use steel sheets in your home design to regular light and ventilation inside a room or an outdoor space. You can easily modify the design pattern to block or limit the direct light while allowing air to flow.
“Aluminum perforated sheets have plethora of positive attributes that allows us to achieve both functional and aesthetic design out of it. It’s worth considering it for your project, if you want to achieve something unique and aspiring.”says Audrey Matlock a renowned Architect in New York.
Here’re some pros of perforated aluminum sheets:
- No erosion or rusting: Unlike perforated steel sheets, aluminum sheets have no such issues as corrosion or rusting. It is water-resistant and will never get water stains over time. That’s the reason they are ideal for use as signboards, filtering plants, screens for cement slurry and similar applications.
- Aesthetic appeal: Architects prefer the use of perforated aluminum sheets because of the contemporary and industrial look. The shining sheet can easily flare up the outlook of a building or any structure. You can play around the hole or aperture size and patterns to customize the visual appeal. In fact, it is the best material you can ever get for façade of a building and help achieve a specific look.
- Functionality and privacy – together: It’s not just that we can go for these sheets because of aesthetic appeal. These perforated sheets also help achieve maximum privacy that is otherwise not possible with glass or other façade. You can achieve privacy but at the same time, it allows natural sunlight to pass through creating a more appealing and welcoming environment. Try to imagine, a dark metal sheet around the building with light projecting out of the perforations. Doesn’t it feel awesome?
- No issues with weight: Designers are always looking to reduce the self-weight of the structure. That’s also important to achieve sustainable living. Aluminum sheets are inherently light weight and with perforations, they’re even more light weight. But at the same time, the sheets are durable and can withstand forces of nature.
- Strength and durability- Aluminum, being a strong metal, can easily bear weight of building elements. You can choose the shape, size, and pattern of holes to make sheets even stronger and durable.
- Energy Efficiency – Unlike glass, aluminum perforated façade offers more control over the building’s light and ventilation. Aluminum can deflect a portion of heat build-up from the sun and so you can have more savings on energy bills. The light piercing the perforations can lit up the interior thereby decreasing the needs of indoor artificial lighting.
- Versatility – Because of the overall strength and flexibility, you can use aluminum sheets for both structural as well as aesthetic purpose. You can easily cut and design sheets in various shapes, lengths, and patterns.
- Healthy for the environment – These metal sheets are recyclable and can be used as many times as you want. In fact, in the manufacturing of perforated aluminum sheets, recycled material is used. This not only reduces the construction waste but because of perforations also decrease the amount of metal needed.
Despite plethora of benefits of perforated aluminum sheets, still there’re many cons to it like:
- These sheets can typically cost you more than many other building materials like wood, concrete, brick, or stone veneer. Aluminum is even at a higher end in cost as compared with steel. However, they require minimal long-term maintenance and the long-life makes it worth the investment.
- With the aluminum sheets, you can’t make field corrections easily. Like if you’re working with wood or concrete, you can adjust the outlook in case of a mistake. But you can’t do such corrections here.
Further Read: House front wall cement design Ideas that wows in 2022
The bottom line
There’re many types of metal perforated sheets or screens. But the aluminum perforated sheets are the best in terms of affordability, flexibility, and durability. You can achieve different dimensions and shapes of the sheets, like round, square, and hexagonal shape. It is easily customizable because of the ease of manufacturing.