How much does it cost to drywall a 1000 sq. ft. house? What’s the cost of drywall per square foot? And how much would it cost to drywall a 500 sq ft house? These’re some of the questions that I’ve been asked frequently by homeowners seeking to renovate their home in near future.
Drywall installation costs vary, depending on where you live and the type of drywall you choose. But fortunately there are some simple ways to calculate the estimated cost of drywall installation in your home. With these resources, you can easily reckon your drywall installation cost without much hassle.
Looking to spruce up your home with some new drywall? Check out our cost calculator to see how much it would cost to drywall your home!
Also Read: Rough opening for doors – 24”, 28”, 30”, 32”& 36” – Opening Sizes & Charts
Table of Contents
- How Much Does It Cost to Drywall a House with 1000 sq. ft. area?
- How to Calculate the Cost of Drywall Installation for Your Home
- How much would it cost to drywall a 500 sq. ft. house?
- Cost to drywall a house – price for 1000 sq. ft. house
- Cost to drywall a house – price for 2000 sq. ft. house
How Much Does It Cost to Drywall a House with 1000 sq. ft. area?
The cost to install drywall on average is around $1,200 to $1,700. But depending on the type of drywall and job size, you may be paying around $1,500 to $2,300. While remodeling and for simply hanging and finishing standard ½” thickness drywall, you may spend around $1,750 for a 1,000 sq. ft. house.
So, we can calculate the cost to install a drywall on a 1000 sq. ft. house by using cost per sq. ft. The typical installation cost for drywall on per sq. ft. basis is $1.50 to $3.50 per sq. ft. With that for a 1000 sq. ft. house the cost is 1000 x 1.50 and 1000 x 3.50 which equals to $1500 to $3500.
The above cost range includes installation and finishing (including material). So, if your project doesn’t need finishing, the cost will be less than the above average costs of sheetrock. Similarly, you can save considerable money by doing installation yourself (without hiring a drywall installation contractor). Most of the drywall installation projects are pretty simple and you can easily tackle a small area without much hassle.
Here’s how we can breakdown the cost of drywall installation for different sizes room along with material only and installation only data:
|Square Feet||Average Cost (Materials Only)||Average Cost (Installed)|
|50 sq.ft.||$25 – $37.50||$75 – $175|
|100 sq.ft.||$50 – $75||$150 – $350|
|200 sq.ft.||$100 – $150||$300 – $700|
|500 sq.ft.||$250 – $375||$750 – $1,750|
|1,000 sq.ft.||$500 – $750||$1,500 – $3,500|
|2,000 sq.ft.||$1,000 – $1,500||$3,000 – $7,000|
Also Read: Wall Texture Types to create stunning home interiors (Easy Methods)
How to Calculate the Cost of Drywall Installation for Your Home
What factors affect how much you pay?
- Size of your room or home – Obviously, for smaller area the cost of installation will be less in comparison to a large house. For more area, the labor needs to utilize more time and resources than for a smaller area.
- Type of drywall – There’re number of different types of drywall materials. The sound proof drywall sheet costs around $2 to $4 whereas simple blue board is about $0.46 to $0.58 per sq. ft. Similarly some types and costs of drywall are: moisture-resistant ($0.54-$0.63), Moisture-and-mold resistant ($0.54-$0.63), eco-friendly ($0.58-$0.83).
- Size of drywall – The cost of material doesn’t vary a lot by size of the sheet but the installation cost varies a lot. The cost to install 4’x 16’ is $90 to $160 per sheet but for small sheet of 4’x8’ the cost is $45 to $80 per sheet.
- Drywall thickness – More thickness of the drywall panel, more will be the cost. The most popular is ½” and it’s cost is $10 to $20. Although material cost doesn’t vary a lot by thickness but the installation cost for 5/8” and ½” thickness is more than 3/8” or ¼”.
- Type of texture in finishing – You may only need paint finish but drywall can have different types of textures. For a light spray texture the cost is $0.50 to $1 per sq. ft. but on the other hand, a heavy texture will cost you a $1.50 to $2 in addition to the typical installation cost.
- Location – Like the cost to drywall a bathroom, will be different than the cost of a bedroom, or a kitchen.
Also Read: What to do with gap between tub and cement board?
Costs associated with DIY
So, you can easily conclude from the above price guide of drywall that material doesn’t cost more – it is the labor that is expensive. The labor breakdowns the installation into steps like hanging drywall, taping, and mudding, sanding and priming, and finishing. The most expensive labor cost is finishing. You can have huge savings by going DIY for drywall hanging, installation, and finishing.
For DIY you just need a few tools and gadgets like drywall saw, utility knife, drywall knives, scissors, screw gun, drill, sanding sponge, measuring tape and dust tape. You can purchase all of such equipment in around $300 to $600 but once you’re there you can repeatedly use them to finish your drywall installation projects.
How much would it cost to drywall a 500 sq. ft. house?
For a 500 sq. ft. house, the cost to drywall a house is $1.50 x 500 to $3.50 x 500 that is around $750 to $1750. But in most of the cases, installers charge you less if your area is less. So, it is very rare that a for a 500 sq. ft. house you’ll go in excess of $1000. However, if you’re doing a DIY and you only want to know the material cost that will be around $250 – $375 for a 500 sq. ft. house.
Also Read: 8 Types of Partition Walls – Materials – Design – Construction – Price
Cost to drywall a house – price for 1000 sq. ft. house
For a 1000 sq. ft. house, the cost to drywall a house is $1.50 x 1000 to $3.50 x 1000 that is around $1500 to $3500. But in most of the cases, installers charge you less if your area is less. So, it is very rare that a for a 1000 sq. ft. house you’ll go in excess of $2500. However, if you’re doing a DIY and you only want to know the material cost that will be around $500 – $750 for a 1000 sq. ft. house.
Cost to drywall a house – price for 2000 sq. ft. house
For a 2000 sq. ft. house, the cost to drywall a house is $1.50 x 2000 to $3.50 x 2000 that is around $3000 to $7000. But in most of the cases, installers charge you less if your area is less. So, it is very rare that a for a 2000 sq. ft. house you’ll go in excess of $6000. However, if you’re doing a DIY and you only want to know the material cost that will be around $1000 – $1500 for a 2000 sq. ft. house.
Also Read: Does heat kill mold in house? Get rid of the mold with heat